Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'm still NOT Joe the Plumber...

…I’m Cheryl the unemployed graphic designer. To date, no one has offered me any kind of a job, not even one as a correspondent. I don’t have to worry about what the tax rates are because I haven’t paid any taxes for years. I’m not worried about Wall Street or the stock market, personal savings, investments or retirement accounts because I no longer have any of those things. I’m not interested in restoring the banking industries ability to provide credit so people can finance cars, vacations or houses.

I gave up my car in 2004, haven’t been anywhere on vacation since 1962 and my home is in foreclosure and can be auctioned off with 30 days notice. Even though the bank, Citi-Mortgage, is allowing us to make partial payments, it’s a temporary solution that they could discontinue at any time. I’ve been out of work since 2003. I went back to college, polished my resume, studied potential employers, personalized cover letters and targeted my resume submissions. I’ve applied for over 700 jobs since the company I worked for went bankrupt and I’m still unemployed and the job outlook is getting worse by the hour.

Because I lost my job, we used up all our savings, we’re behind on all our bills and our credit rating is pitiful. Because I can’t find a job, we’re could lose our home and we can’t even afford the rent on a studio apartment. People keep telling me I’m doing all the right things, just keep trying hang on and keep a positive attitude. If I’m doing everything right, why is my life going so terribly wrong?

All the tax cuts and stimulus packages in the world aren’t going to help people who don’t have a job, whose credit rating is non-existent, who are on the verge of losing it all. Keeping people in their homes is vital to the recovery of the country. A place of residence is essential not only because it provides shelter and a sense of security but because you need an address for just about everything associated with day to day living. Have you ever tried to get a job without a home address? How about health care? File your tax returns? Get an unemployment check? I suppose it’s possible but the red tape could probably stretch from Boston to L.A. and back more than a few times.

The new administration and the banking industry need to come up with a plan to modify mortgages and existing home refinancing to include people who don’t have perfect credit. Who may have to make partial payments for the several years it may take for the employment situation to improve. Having a huge quantity of bank owned properties will only serve to prolong the recover process. They not only decrease the value of surrounding properties, they increase costs to the remaining residents through the higher cost of utilities, food and services. Please help us to Save Our Homes.

2 comments:

RedAlice said...

Hi, have you tried looking for work @ elance.com? I'm an independent web designer and I've found some good (if not particularly steady) work through them. There are other freelance sites out there, too: guru.com springs to mind, and you can find others here: http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-5-Freelance-Sites&id=148352. Good luck with your home!

DollarPoor said...

I certainly know times are tough today Cherie. I wish you both well and do keep us updated on your situation. I don't have a house to save, but made a big mistake investing in a what I found out later to be a ponzi scheme. I fell for it "hook, line and sinker". I lost over $10,000. You can have a look at my website and my story. Feel free to comment in my guestbook too Cherie. We'll find financial help, there's a lot of GOOD people on the Internet too who want to help folks like us. Just need to have then find us!

Matt Harrin
http://dollarpoor.com