Friday, October 3, 2008

Wall Street Bail Out

I tried to call CSPAN today about the bail out bill.
I wanted to tell them that my husband and I are both very much against it.
I did call our congressman.
I look at this situation on a much smaller scale by comparing it to our own personal situation.
My husband and I are facing the loss of our home to foreclosure.
We didn’t buy a big expensive house we couldn’t afford.
We were both working and we bought a little house for $72,000.
We didn’t get into this situation over night. I lost my job when my work place went bankrupt in 2003.
We used up all our savings, retirement, everything we could think of to save our home.
I went back to college and got a degree to improve my marketability.
I still don’t have a job.
If someone came in today and paid off our arrears it might help us today but not long term.
The bottom line is, unless we increase our income to at least our previous level, (actually with the way prices are going up we need a lot more) we’ll end up in the same situation in a very short time. If and when I manage to find a job it’s going to take a long time to get out of hole we’re in.
Wall St. didn’t get in this mess over night.
They made bad choices.
Buying up their bad paper today isn’t going to resolve this problem any more than ours would be solved by bailing us out of our immediate problem.
The underlying causes need to be identified and addressed.
A means of resolving the issues on a long term basis needs to be deliberately determined in a calm informed way.
Decisions made in panic and fear, are seldom reliable lasting solutions.
Our economy is in crisis.
Providing people with more credit without the means to repay that credit is not a sound policy.
People need jobs, I am one of many thousands of long term unemployed people, who no longer gets counted in unemployment
polls.
We don’t pay taxes because we don’t have any income.
We don’t buy anything because we don’t have any income.
I and others like me, want to work, We want jobs that pay a LIVING WAGE so that we can buy cars, houses, pay for continuing education…
Without a strong foundation, a building will collapse.
Working people are the foundation of the United States economy.
Over the last couple of decades we’ve lost hundreds of thousands of jobs overseas.
We’ve frozen wages, cut wages and allowed prices to increase.
Our foundation is not only weak, we’ve taken a wrecking ball to it and now we’re trying to add a few more floors to the building it’s trying to support.
That we need to do something is obvious but make it about resolving the actual problem.
Paying off our mortgage isn’t going to resolve our problem and bailing out wall street isn’t going to resolve the problems in our country.




No comments: